Winter Garden
by Shae Cooke
The powdery snow falls silently upon the forest floor,
Blanketing the brushwood in it’s downy softness.
The wind blows lightly causing a slight shiver
amongst the threadbare branches of the stately Alder trees.
Dancing shadows leap across the pallid mantle of snow
As the bright light of the wintry moon
shimmers upon the tips of the glistening tree boughs.
The snow muffles the distant bay of a solitary wolf,
Silently echoing the sentiment of his loneliness.
The trees sway in unison as though
Dancing to the cadence of their cries.
The Winter Garden.
Splendid in its austere exquisiteness.
The snow drifts awash in a palette of
Shades of white, heighten its
Unadorned beauty.
______________________________
It is Winter. And it is beautiful.
This year, I am so thankful for a change in mindset towards this season. Normally, I would scoff at its seemingly monochromatic and dull canvas. As a person who is greatly affected by my environment, Winter's bland offerings do not help lift my spirit and emotions. I have often blamed the season for my overcast moods and fatigue. But a new light has been shed on this holy season. Someone mentioned how Winter is restful and quiet, and that it is integral for life to manifest itself in the following seasons.
Okay, so I have heard this all before, but for some reason it hit me this time. It changed me.
Just a few nights ago, I was awoken. I had no idea why I felt so rested, so ready to wake up during the middle of the night. In fact, I laid there wide awake until morning's light. A thought was brought to me that I believe was from the Holy Spirit. This experience was an analogy for where I am spiritually and emotionally.
You see, for a number of reasons, God has been resting and healing me for some time now. Through the quiet I have gained perspective and have been maturing... my roots have been growing deeper in faith. Now, it seems, He is awakening me. The Lord has opened my eyes from my restorative slumber, and I am awake! There is always a time for me between waking up and getting out of bed when I am still, yet am surveying my rest from the night before and measuring the tasks at hand for the day. This is where I am. I am realizing and am grateful for the rest. I am weighing, with hope and passion, for the day ahead. I am finding myself being propelled by Winter. The stillness, the quiet, the rest will always be integral for life to manifest itself in the following seasons of my life.
I am aware that Winter's canvas returns every year. But next time, it will be welcomed.
-Kassie
2 comments:
Kassie- Oh, I so enjoyed your the sentiment of your writing. It was good to read and pause in reflection; and I'm glad you are looking at winter with fresh eyes and such a beautiful spot at your new home!
-S
Kassie, I appreciate what you had to say about winter, having been sorely affected by it's gray and stillness myself. I too have enjoyed this winter season and as wonderful as Spring will be I will be sad to say good bye to Winter, for a time. I have appreciated spending these winter days with you and have been enjoying it with new eyes as well. It's exciting that you can relate this season of winter to your spiritual walk. I think that is exactly what God had in mind when He gave us creation; to let it testify to us and instruct. Thanks for sharing your personal experience with the season.
M
Post a Comment