Hey Gang,
I guess I kinda left yall hanging last week with the promise of "big news." Well without getting into all the details right now, the news is that I will be going on staff with our church here in Asheville in January. We are really excited about this opportunity to do a one year internship with the staff at Highlands Christian Church. The position will be a church plant internship that will help prepare us to plant a daughter church hopefully in 2010. I hope to spend some time soon writing out this story, and giving you all more details about what all this means for our future. For now though, we hope that you celebrate with us that God obviously has a plan for this seminary and training time. Pray for us in the details and stress that this great journey entails for us. There is so much work to do with school and preparing to plant a church. It is a little overwhelming at times and so easy to be like Simon Peter and start looking at the waves and not at Christ walking on the water.
Today in church I was feeling a bit of what I call "Moses and Jonah syndrome." That feeling of knowing God is calling you to do something specific, yet feeling so inadequate for the task. Like Moses I often want to say "Pardon your servant Lord. Please send someone else," Exodus 4:13. Or like Jonah, I want to get on the boat going the opposite direction that God told him to go, Jonah 1:3.
It is in these times that I like to remind the Lord that "You don't need me God." I like to let him know that he has plenty of other options of people that could go to seminary and plant a church. There are many other people who are plenty well qualified to lead in his church. It is in these times that he so gently reminds me that I am right, "he does not need me, but he wants me." It is in these moments that I am reminded that this whole thing is about a relationship, not a ministry. It is in the moments of life where life is overwhelming that the Lord beacons me, "Just press in son, just press in." In pressing into the Lord I am forced to abandon those things that my mind tells me he needs me for and like a little child submit myself to the relationship that my heart knows he made me for.
As I was wrestling with these things the praise band lead us in the worship song "Before the Throne of God Above." I love songs that sing the Gospel so clearly and richly. As we sang the second verse it was if the Lord wrote it to me and said "take your eyes off you son, press in to me, press in to me."
"When Satan tempts me to despair and tells me
of the guilt within Upward I look and see Him there,
Who made an end to all my sin"
I am adding the link here to an 8min version of the song done by Shane and Shane. I have had it on repeat for the last few hours, just letting the Gospel be sung to my heart. Maybe it will provide the same comfort to you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8dlg5yBywo
As always, Thank you for your prayers and support in so many ways....
Pete
6 comments:
Isn't that a glorious mystery: that He chose to use us, to allow us to participate in His plan, amazing!
MOM
Exciting Pete. It's pretty awesome and I must say amusing to see how things have come full circle in different ways in each of our lives. God must have known what He's doing or somthin'.
love you-S
Your words encouraged me greatly today Pete. Thank you. I have a friend God has burdened me with to witness to, and sometimes I get so stressed out that I mess it up with the wrong words. But God is bigger than my words and my mistakes. He's called me to witness to her for a reason and doesn't need me to bring about his plan, but wants me to have an opportunity to participate in it. Hope you and Kassie get some rest this weekend.
Sarah
Sarah,
thanks for the honesty in your comment. i am glad that you were encouraged. i find so often the stress of doing what i feel the Lord has called me to do can steal the joy of being who I am in the Lord. I hope that as you find the courage to share the Christ with your co-worker that you are encouraged that your joy in the Lord will be the most irresistible force that your friend has ever experienced. thanks again for your words...hope you guys are doing great. pete
How neat! We sang the same song this weekend. When we were practicing it I turned to someone and commented on what an amazing song it is and how astounded I am that 'my name is graven on his hand'! Keep pressing in! Love you.
Beck
Hey just checking in to see how things are going in Pete and Kassie's world. Looking forward to seeing you soon.
M
Post a Comment